Life of Kika Collage

Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Bullying at 21 years old...

I have been living in a Jewish neighborhood for about 10 years. And for those 10 years I have been following the rules for all of my neighbors to cover up and be respectful to the community. Never ever have I had the issue of walking out of my home in a scantily clad outfit and getting shit for exposing a certain part of my body. I was always covered up. Even in the summertime, I wore a shawl or something to cover up my chest and shoulders out of discretion for the public. But for the past few days, out of the first cold days in New York I have been getting bullied from all the young Jewish boys in my neighborhood. Being 21 years old, I hate the thought of ever being bullied again. It brings me back to middle school when I didn't fit in because I was supposedly "Weird". No one wants to be reminded of something they have a lack of confidence in.
 
At first, I believed that the boys were making fun of me because of my face or body. I didn't think of it as a big deal when I approached a group of kids from outside of my work. I just told them top Grow Up and Learn to Respect People. Simple Words. I didn't want to do the wrong thing and approach them with harm. The days go by and I'm getting multiple people by my office yelling EW! and laughing at me. I thought to myself, okay they are all ganging up on me. This morning I was setting up my office and two kids were passing by and screamed Ew at me. So I walked up to them and I told them to Stop. I got angry and I couldn't help, but feel like doing something stupid. They wanted to approach me in my office and I asked them to leave. A few minutes later, their leader of the Pack, the Rabbi came to my office to apologize. I knew the Rabbi as a client and he told me to call him if any issue came up. When I told my mother about the whole situation, she told me they were bullying me because of the way I dress. And it bothers me because why would I be treated out of all people?!
 
I guess they considered me the Village Whore for dressing a certain way, but the best thing I got out of this situation was the sweetest letter from this chubby kid who came to my office to apologize. What the kids do to me is awfully annoying, but at least there are some people by my side.
 
Read Below:
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment